We all learn best when we are having fun and this could not be truer for children.
Running an airport is not as easy as it looks, it takes a variety of skills that your child can develop over time. Your child will need to think creatively, hypothesise, strategise, manage resources, collaborate with friends, and nurture a wide variety of other skills that could extend positively into their everyday lives.
Airports by their very nature expose children to a huge range of experiences and educational awareness. All the components of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) are within the airport: complex machinery, fuels, engines, smart systems, avionics, computerised everything and this is before you even start considering the cultural benefits of travel and geography.
This makes Airside Andy a wonderful world in which to learn and play!
The unique learning emphasis on the game is firmly rooted in developing children’s knowledge and understanding of the world, especially concepts connected with Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) as well as those concepts more commonly found in edu-apps including Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Airside Andy is special because it enhances both SEL and STEM learning.
The point of the Airside Andy world is to add value to creative play through technology, rather than technology distracting from it. As children work towards evolving the airport through SEL-focused gaming, where teamwork is key to the success of their gaming play, they are connected to a constant and exponential increase in learning.
Airside Andy world can encourage the development of children’s fluid development as it presents opportunities to multitask through:
- Communicating through text (all text is pre-programmed) in a social context that is strictly managed and therefore an excellent introduction to the internet for young children
- Operating a character by creating and customising their own avatar
- Managing short-term objectives by keeping the airport clean and tidy
- Managing medium-term objectives by getting planes off on time
- Managing long-term objectives by working towards building and developing airports
- Reflecting on their individual progress by reviewing their achievements and seeing the targets for their next achievements
- Seeking novelty in customising the airport environment around them
- Networking by getting along with others, reading and sending pre-programmed greetings and solutions
- Managing money through Intercity Coins. By earning coins, your child learns how to save and spend money.
There are various mini-games to play within the Airside Andy App. You can learn more about these on our mini-games page, with more information about the educations benefits of all of these.